Nov 27, 2013
In the United States, on the 4th Thursday of November, we have a national holiday called Thanksgiving. It’s a time that we take the opportunity to gather with friends and family and celebrate the things we are thankful for. So this episode is also set aside to talk about the things that we are thankful for.
We also want to acknowledge that this can be the most difficult time of year for us alcoholics and al-anons. So we'd like to practice our program with one of our basic recovery tools, the gratitude list.
To kick off the show, let’s take a look at what our listeners are grateful for. We asked the question, “What difficulties can you be grateful for?
What thoughts do you have about being able to look at past difficulties as blessings in disguise?
We have some audio from our listeners on this topic of gratitude.
Kevin P Interview
thoughts and comments
thoughts and comments
Let’s turn our discussions to you our hosts. Let’s start this discussion with people in our lives
1. Who do you appreciate? How has recovery affected your attitude toward the people in your lives?
2. How are you fortunate? How has recovery played a part in your ability to be grateful about your circumstances?
3. What material possessions are you thankful for?
4. What abilities do you have that you are grateful for?
5. What about your surroundings (home/neighborhood/city/etc.) are you thankful for?
6. What experiences have you had that you are grateful for?
7. What happened today/yesterday/this week/this month/this year that you are grateful for?
8. What opportunities do you have that you are thankful for?
9. What have others in your life done that you are thankful for?
10. What have others done that you are benefiting from in your life (even if you don't know who those people are)?
11. What relationships are you thankful for?
12. What are you taking for granted that, if you stop to think about it, you are grateful for?
13. What is there about the challenges/difficulties you have experienced (or are currently experiencing) that you can be thankful for? (e.g., What have you learned? How have you grown?)
14. What is different today than it was a year ago that you are thankful for?
15. What insights have you gained that you are grateful for?